The purpose of the new and expanded Capitol Connections program is to educate Members of Congress and select Administration officials on the leasing industry's overall economic contribution and its role as a major source of capital and investment in the United States. This new program reflects member interest in expanding the industry's outreach program beyond Capitol Hill to include key executive branch agencies.
"Capital Connections" participants will communicate to policymakers- in a quantifiable manner- a number of key messages including the:
- level of capital contribution
- leasing volume by equipment type
- flow of capital goods both domestically and internationally
- specific legislative and regulatory issues of concern to the industry
Capitol Connections will encompass not only high level targeted meetings on Capitol Hill but also meetings at select executive branch agencies. ELA is currently in the process of determining the executive branch agencies participants should visit during their time in Washington. Considerations include:
- Department of Commerce (DOC)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) within the Department of the Treasury.
In addition to the meetings on Capitol Hill and with executive branch agencies, "Capitol Connections" will include several high level Administration and congressional speakers as well as an address by noted political commentator Charlie Cook, Editor and Publisher of The Cook Political Report. Mr. Cook will address participants on national politics and provide an overview of the 2006 congressional elections at the opening session on May 9. ELA also has extended an invitation to Marc Gerson, Majority Tax Counsel of the House Ways and Means Committee to speak to the attendees at the opening session on May 9 on tax legislation affecting the leasing and finance industry.